Tuesday, January 24, 2017

WOTP: Lindsay Adams, Young Adult Author

Say a big hello to my long-time author friend, Lindsay Adams! She's the fourth author in the WOTP series. I originally contacted her to be a part of the querying author category, but since then, quite a few things have changed! But I'll let her tell you all about that...


To start on a personal note, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Like my writing, I’m a bit of a niche person. I do 3D art and animation for a living, and spend my free time painting ducks for contests, and participating in a very old sport known as falconry.

What novel did you query? What was it about in a few sentences?

I queried for my novel GRYPHON'S PROPHECY, under the working title GRYPHON LEGEND. It’s the tale of two gryphon brothers who find themselves pitted against each other in a war that encompasses not only the mortal lands, but also the realm of the gods.

An amazing drawing by Lindsay of
her gryphon character, Nimure.
Who is your favorite character from this book?

That’s a tough one. I love my main character because I feel like I’ve been through this entire adventure with him, and more. However, his brother is one of my favorite types of characters, so I’m also very fond of him, and I enjoy writing his segments.

Have you written/queried other books before? 

This book was my first book to be finished. Since then I’ve written two others, both of which take place in the same world, but with different characters. I queried for two of my three completed novels

What was the hardest part about querying?

Probably the synopsis. I enjoy the process of writing query letters, but I really struggle with the synopsis. What to leave out, what to keep. It’s just way over my head.

Recently you decided to stop querying and pursue a different publishing route. Why did you decide to forgo traditional publishing and pursue independent publishing?

Lindsay, her husband, and the
adorable Ender
I have gone back and forth for years now, but a couple months ago I decided I was finally going to self publish my novels. I decided on this route for a number of reasons, the main one being that I write very niche fiction—animal fantasy, and while I believe I can market this to specific readers who will enjoy my books, I understand from a traditional standpoint it’s just not profitable. My chances of seeing my books published are slim unless I can write something else that has a better market, and publish my animal fantasy later. I also have a friend who is a self published author and I like the community she has built. I enjoy how close she is with some of her readers, and I honestly believe that’s something you’re only really going to see with indie books.

I’m also one of those world building writers. I have ideas for many books, all based in the same world but with different characters. Sort of like what Mercedes Lackey did with her Valdemar series. I realized that I’m more likely to publish every book in my series if I go indie. Whereas traditional may not want every book.
  
Do you have any tips for writers who are trying decide whether they should query agents/publishers or go indie?

It took me years to decide, and even now I don’t want to sway people one way or another. I guess if I were to offer tips it would be to sit down and figure out what you really want as a writer. Do you want to make a living off of writing? Do you just want to publish one book? Do you want to write a 50 book series all in one world? Are you happy just having your story out there? Once you find out what it is you want, research both traditional and indie thoroughly and then decide what you think will best get you and your writing where you want to go.

Finally, how will you celebrate when you publish your first book?

I’ll probably have a little party at home, while I dust off my webpages and prepare my marketing strategies. Or I’ll just start writing the next book. haha.

Isn't it amazing where our different writing journeys take us? There are so many different paths authors can take in modern society--it's fantastic!

To keep in touch with Lindsay as she forges her own path make sure you follow:






post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment